Report a Spill

NHDES Spill Response responds to petroleum and hazardous waste spills in New Hampshire.

The Spill Response and Complaint Investigation Section (SRCIS) responds to hundreds of spill calls each year. The on-call team of experienced responders cover the entire State of New Hampshire, who are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The responders are equipped with supplies that can be used for containing or packaging of spills and waste materials. Stockpiles of spill response equipment and supplies are maintained at several key locations around the state for use by local officials during emergency spill cleanup.

Types of Spills to Report:

  • Petroleum spills to the ground or surface water.
  • Hazardous material spill to the ground or surface water.
  • Petroleum powered vehicles or vessels that become partially or fully submerged.

The State of New Hampshire has statutory and regulatory requirements regarding the reporting of discharges of both petroleum products and hazardous wastes. To promote compliance with these "duty to report" requirements please review the "Reporting Oil Spills, Hazardous Waste Spills and Groundwater Contamination" fact sheet that gives excerpts from the appropriate laws and regulations.

Spill Reporting Form

How to Report a Spill

First: Contact 911 or local fire department 

Second: Call NHDES Spill Response 

  • Monday- Friday, 8 a.m to 4 p.m, (603) 271-3899 
  • Weekends and Evenings, (603) 223-4381 (State Police Dispatch) 
  • For chemical or oil spills that impact surface water, call the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802