Skip to main content
scroll to top

Solid Waste

Regulating facilities that collect, store and transfer, process and treat, or dispose of solid waste.

New Hampshire’s Solid Waste Management Act (RSA 149-M) generally defines "solid waste" as any abandoned or discarded material, excluding hazardous waste, nuclear waste, sludge and septage, certain types of point source discharges, and yard waste. Even with these exclusions, solid waste encompasses a wide variety of potential materials, including household trash, recyclable materials, commercial and industrial waste, construction and demolition debris, food waste, electronic waste, non-hazardous contaminated soils, asbestos waste, end-of-life motor vehicles, infectious waste, animal carcasses, or anything else that qualifies as abandoned or discarded. 

NHDES’ Solid Waste Management Bureau (SWMB) regulates the facilities and practices associated with the collection, processing, treatment, recycling, re-use and disposal of solid waste in New Hampshire. The SWMB oversees the management of solid waste through a combination of facility permitting, training and compliance programs.

Document Submittal

At this time, the SWMB is only accepting electronic submittals in order to limit the need for staff to be physically present in the office to receive and sort mail. Until further notice, please do not submit paper copies of facility reports, design plans, notices, waiver applications and permit applications that do not include a fee unless specifically requested. It is preferred that electronic submittals be made via NHDES' OneStop Data Provider portal. Please note that this does not apply to original financial assurance mechanisms, Solid Waste Facility Operator Training applications with a payment and permit applications with a payment; these submittals must continue to be made in paper. Review the Instructions for Submitting Electronic Documents and Submittal Cover Sheet Template prior to making an electronic submittal.

Document Review

All public documents received and sent by the SWMB on or after January 1, 2018, are routinely made available for viewing by the public on NHDES' OneStop database, typically within a few days of receipt. Documents received or sent by the SWMB prior to January 1, 2018, are available for review by request directed to the NHDES Public Information Center (603-271-2919; [email protected]).

Unlined Landfill & Incinerator Closure Grants

Providing reimbursement to municipalities for a portion of the costs associated with the closure of an unlined landfill and/or incinerator.

Executive Secretary
[email protected]
[email protected]