Processing hazardous waste manifests, notification forms and hazardous waste quarterly reports

All hazardous waste generators (with the exception of temporary hazardous waste generators), used oil burners, hazardous waste transporters located in New Hampshire, and persons who accumulate 11,000 pounds or more of universal waste on site at any one time, must notify the NHDES Reporting and Information Management Section by completing and submitting a RCRA C Site Identification Form prior to conducting these activities.

NHDES also requires notification when a company is no longer generating hazardous waste.

properly sealed hazardous waste containersTo notify NHDES of hazardous waste activity of any kind, a RCRA C Site Identification Form must be submitted before conducting these activities. We understand that you may need some help filling out the notification form, so we have some instructions that should answer most of your questions.   

Form Instructions 

 Rows of drums of hazardous waste 

Are you no longer generating hazardous waste? Let us know with the Inactivation/Declassification form. This form is to be used when your company is no longer generating hazardous waste. Once the RIMS office has received a completed declassification request from your company, the EPA Identification number will be changed to inactive status.  

Inactivation/Declassification Form  

an image of medical wasteAs of July 30, 2018, manifests are generated and managed by the EPA’s eManifest system. This program is being phased in over a course of 3-5 years, with the goal of an almost paperless Hazardous Waste Manifesting model when it’s done. As part of our educational outreach, we try to provide you with the most current information on our eManifest page.

eManifest Information  

Hazardous Waste Transporting

Hazardous waste transporters represent the link between the generation of hazardous wastes by New Hampshire businesses and the proper treatment, storage and disposal of such wastes at authorized facilities. NHDES regulates approximately 2,000 hazardous waste generators, which are served by approximately 150 New Hampshire-registered hazardous waste transporters. (All transporters of hazardous waste that operate within or pass through New Hampshire, including transporters of hazardous wastes destined for recycling, must be registered in this state.)

The transporter must maintain compliance with NHDES Administrative Rule Env-Hw 600 concerning such issues as proper vehicle identification, personnel training, contingency planning, emergency preparedness, financial responsibility, manifest management, and record keeping and reporting. A distinction should be made between the transportation of hazardous "wastes" (i.e., contaminated solids, liquids and gases) which are regulated by NHDES, and hazardous "materials" (i.e., virgin chemical products or reagents intended for use in product manufacturing) which are regulated by the New Hampshire Department of Safety (NHDOS). Information on transporting hazardous materials can be found on the NHDOS website or by calling (603) 271-0333.

an image of an 18-wheeler truck on a highway

 Hazardous waste transporter application packet  

Before hazardous waste transport activities begin, a hazardous waste transporter application packet must be submitted to NHDES annually. The registration period from July 1 of a given year to June 30 of the following year. New Hampshire-based hazardous waste transporters also are required to notify NHDES using the Hazardous Waste Activity Notification Form before transporting or registering. Once the application is approved, NHDES will issue a registration confirmation letter to the applicant, who must carry a copy of this letter in each vehicle used to transport hazardous waste.  

Hazardous waste transporter application packet  

an image of a road taken from inside the cab of an 18-wheeler

Fact sheets and FAQs about transporter requirements 

Have questions about the transporter application and notification process? NHDES provides guidance with fact sheets and other publications, which can all be found in the document library on this website.  

See guidance documents  

an image of an 18-wheeler truck on a highway

Used oil transporter activity report 

Do you transport used oil? We have a form just for you. On an annual basis, New Hampshire-registered hazardous waste transporters are required to submit to NHDES a report detailing their used oil transportation activity for the previous calendar year. The report helps NHDES track used oil activity throughout the state and identify trends in used oil management. The report is due to NHDES by March 1 every year.

Transporter Annual Used Oil Activity Report  

Program Specialist