Underground Storage Tank Operator Training
Class A & B Operator training for underground motor and fuel oil storage tank owners and their representatives
The Federal Energy Policy Act requires states to develop training guidelines for three distinct classes of operators who operate and maintain federally regulated underground storage tank systems. RSA 146-C:17-21 requires that all regulated facilities in New Hampshire have designated Class A, B and C operators who have been trained and certified in accordance with an approved training program.
A state law went into effect May 26, 2010, requiring owners of New Hampshire regulated motor and fuel oil underground storage tank facilities to assign designated A, B and C operators who have been trained and certified by a NHDES-approved training program. NHDES also provides one of the approved A and B operator training programs; view upcoming class dates and other approved training courses below.
The law requires all facilities to have at least one designated operator for each class.
- Class A operators will be designated by owners to have primary statutory and regulatory responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the facility. This class of operator could potentially be the facility owner or person in charge of the tank system.
- Class B operators will be designated by owners to implement applicable regulatory requirements as well as the daily aspects of the facility’s operation, maintenance, and recordkeeping. A maintenance person, an underground storage tank contractor, or consultant could potentially fill this class.
- Class C operators will be designated by the owner to have primary responsibility for responding to alarms, emergencies presented by spills or releases, and other problem associated with the operation of the facility. A store manager or maintenance person could potentially fill this class.
Owners must designate the Class A and B operators to NHDES and post a list of Class C operators at their facility.
Currently, operators can attend the NHDES Underground Storage Tank Operator Training Class for training and certification as both Class A and B operators. Operators who have current certification with the International Code Council as an underground storage facility operator or underground storage facility system installer or retrofitter can also be considered Class A and B operators, respectively. Those trained and certified as Class A or B operators will be eligible to train Class C operators at their facilities. More training options for all operators may become available as NHDES receives submissions for operator training programs approval.
There is no application or fee for the class. To register, contact Spruce Wheelock, Operator Training Coordinator, at [email protected]. Class registrations are processed immediately. Statements of training, which must be submitted by all regulated facilities in New Hampshire, will be processed within 24-48 hours of receiving them. Certifications must be renewed every two years.
Re-certification can be obtained by either of the following options:
- Attend another session and pass the test again.
- Operators whose facilities are in compliance are eligible to take the re-certification test without attending the course. Those appointments will be made per request; please contact Spruce Wheelock via email at [email protected].
The following are the items that you need to accomplish after becoming trained and certified by an approved training program:
- Submit a completed Underground Storage Tank (UST) Facilities A/B Operator Statement of Training to NHDES.
- Class A and B Operators are responsible for completing either the Visual Monthly Inspection Checklist or the Visual Monthly Inspection Checklist - Non-Dispensing. Should they delegate this responsibility out to someone else, that information must be recorded on the form.
- Two items must be posted on-site: a completed List of Class C Operators and Response Guidelines (the owner would decide how their Class C operators should respond to an alarm or an emergency).
Approved Operator Training Classes
|Program Name||Date Approved||Operator Class||Contact Information|
|May-26-2010||Class A and B|
|UST Installation/Retrofitting – U1||May-26-2010||Class B||www.iccsafe.org|
Practical American Safety Solutions
JMM Management Group
Underground Storage Tank Class C Operator Certification
Titan Management Group
|Dependable Petroleum Service Company, Inc., Class C Operator UST||Feb-24-2017||Class C|