skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Wastewater Engineering Bureau
Sludge Hauler Permit

A permit is required for each truck used to manage the removal or transportation of sludge.

Any person or entity wishing to haul sludge over public roadways that has been generated, processed, transferred, stored, used or disposed in the State of New Hampshire must first apply for a sludge hauler permit.

Statute and Administrative Rules
33 U.S.C. 1251 et seq. (1977) Clean Water Act
RSA 485-A:4, XVI-b Water Pollution and Waste Disposal/Duties of Department
Env-Wq 800 Sludge Management

Sludge Hauler ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symbol

$100 for each vehicle. Municipalities that transport their own sludge are exempt.

Processing Time
Typically one week after the application is deemed complete.

Term is two years maximum. Permits expire on January 31 of the odd-numbered year following the date of issue. Permits are renewed by submitting an updated Sludge Hauler ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symboland the application fee, at least 30 days prior to permit expiration.

Not applicable.

Permits may be transferred with prior approval by Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section according to Env-Wq 804.06.

Any person aggrieved by a final decision can appeal the decision to the Water Council in accordance with Env_WC 200.

Status of Current Applications
Contact Tim Sweatt at or (603) 271-2492.

More Information
Sludge Hauling in New Hampshire Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol(Fact Sheet WD-WEB-10)

Contact Us
Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section or (603) 271-3908.



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

Microsoft Word SymbolMicrosoft Word format: free viewer instructions from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire