skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Wastewater Engineering Bureau
Sludge Facility Permit

Allows for independent sludge treatment facilities to process sludge in an environmentally safe manner.

Any person who is processing sludge at any place in New Hampshire, excluding transport or incineration, who does not have a wastewater treatment plant permit or solid waste facility permit, needs a sludge facility permit.

Statute and Administrative Rules
RSA 485-A:4, XVI-b Water Pollution and Waste Disposal/Duties of Department
Env-Wq 800 Sludge Management

Sludge Facility Permit ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symbol

$500 for sludge composting facilities and $1,000 for all other facilities. Municipalities are exempt.

Processing Time
Typically four to six months after application is deemed complete.

Term is five years. Permits are renewed by submitting an updated Sludge Facility Permit ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symbol, and the applicable fee, no later than 180 days prior to the permit expiration date.

Permit holders must submit a Sludge Permit Modification ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symboland obtain approval.

Permits may be transferred with prior approval by Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section according to Env-Wq 804.06.

Any person aggrieved by a final decision can appeal the decision to the Water Council in accordance with Env_WC 200.

Status of Current Applications
Contact Judy Sears Houston at or (603) 271-7888, or Ray Gordon at or (603) 271-3571.

More Information
Permitting a Sludge Facility in New Hampshire Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol(Fact Sheet WD-WEB-16)

Contact Us
Contact Judy Sears Houston at or (603) 271-7888, or Ray Gordon at or (603) 271-3571.



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

Microsoft Word SymbolMicrosoft Word format: free viewer instructions from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire