skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Wastewater Engineering Bureau
Septage Facility Permit and Innovative/Alternative Permit

These permits allow for independent septage treatment facilities to process septage in an environmentally safe manner.

Any person who is processing or disposing of septage at any place in New Hampshire, excluding transport, who does not have a wastewater treatment plant permit or solid waste facility permit, will need to apply for a septage facility permit. The facility permit covers traditional septage processing methods, such as septage lagoons, while newer technology to treat septage is covered under the innovative/alternative (I/A) permit application.

Statute and Administrative Rules
RSA 485-A:4, XVI-a Water Pollution and Waste Disposal/Duties of Department
Env-Wq 1600 Septage Management Rules

Septage Facility and I/A Permit ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symbol

$1,000 for each individual septage treatment facility permit application or renewal. Facilities may deduct $200 for each written agreement with a municipality to accept septage from a municipality in compliance with RSA 485-A:5-b. Municipalities are exempt from the fee.

Processing Time
Typically three to six months after the application is deemed complete, or a public hearing, if one is requested.

Term is ten years. Permits are renewed by submitting an updated Septage Facility and I/A Permit ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symbol, and the applicable fee. A complete renewal application must be received no later than 60 days prior to the permit expiration date for a facility permit, and by the expiration date for an innovative alternative permit.

Permit holders must submit a Septage Permit Modification ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symboland obtain approval.

Required transfer information, found in Env-Wq 1603.10, must be approved by the Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section.

Any person aggrieved by a final decision can appeal the decision to the Water Council in accordance with Env WC 200.

Status of Current Applications
Contact Alex Rastorguyeff at or (603) 271-7888.

More Information
Permitting a Septage Facility in New Hampshire Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol(Fact Sheet WD-WEB-13)

Contact Us
Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section or (603) 271-3908.



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

Microsoft Word SymbolMicrosoft Word format: free viewer instructions from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire