skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Wastewater Engineering Bureau
Septage Holding Tank Permit-by-Notification

To assure all tanks are watertight, accessible, and capable of being cleaned on a regular basis. The inlet and outlet connections must be designed and constructed to prevent leaks, spills, or other releases from the tank. The tank installation must comply with required setbacks from abutters, water bodies, wells, and other sensitive receptors; and the aggregate volume of the septage holding tank(s) at any one facility, land application site, or permitted hauler’s property must not exceed 20,000 gallons.

Any septage hauler who wishes to temporarily hold septage in a tank must obtain a permit-by-notification before any septage is put into the holding tank. This permit-by-notification does not apply to transfer/storage tanks that are to hold more than 20,000 gallons of septage from a single hauler, or any amount from multiple haulers; which will require a septage transfer/storage permit.

Statute and Administrative Rules
RSA 485-A:4, XVI-a Water Pollution and Waste Disposal/Duties of Department
Env-Wq 1600 Septage Management Rules

Septage Holding Tank Permit-By-Notification FormMicrosoft Word Symbol

$200 for each permit-by-notification application, modification or renewal. Municipalities are exempt.

Processing Time
Within 90 days after the application is deemed complete.

Term is 10 years. Permits are renewed by submitting an updated Septage Holding Tank Permit-By-Notification FormMicrosoft Word Symbol, and the application fee. A complete renewal application must be received no later than 15 days prior to the permit expiration date.

Permit holders must submit a Septage Permit Modification ApplicationMicrosoft Word Symbolif septage holding tanks are to be replaced or upgraded. An inspection will be scheduled to verify setback distances and tank integrity.

Required transfer information, found in Env-Wq 1603.10, must be approved by the Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section.

Any person aggrieved by a final decision can appeal the decision to the Water Council in accordance with Env_WC 200.

Status of Current Applications
Contact Alex Rastorguyeff at or (603) 271-7888.

Contact Us
Wastewater Engineering Bureau, Residual Management Section or (603) 271-3908.



Microsoft Word SymbolMicrosoft Word format: free viewer instructions from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire