skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Docks and Shoreline Structures
picture of a dock All natural bodies of water are held in trust for public use by the State of New Hampshire. Under RSA 482-A, NH Wetlands Law, constructing new structures such as docks, boat lifts, jet ski lifts, retaining walls, breakwaters and perched beaches in or on any bank, flat, marsh or swamp in and adjacent to and waters of the state requires a permit. This permit serves as permission for an entity to build and maintain a structure within an area held in public trust.

green arrow Hot Topics

green arrow Publications

green arrow Rules/Regulatory

green arrow Technical Assistance

green arrow Forms/Applications (Complete List)

green arrow Permits

green arrow Related Programs

green arrow FAQs

green arrow Contact Us (Complete List)

  • Docks and Shoreline Structures Program
    NHDES Wetlands Bureau
    29 Hazen Drive; PO Box 95
    Concord, NH 03302-0095
    (603) 271-2147
    (603) 271-6588 (fax)
  • Portsmouth Office
    (603) 559-1500



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

Microsoft Word SymbolMicrosoft Word format: free viewer instructions from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire