skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) General Permit

Storm water discharge pipe

Small MS4s operators located outside of the urbanized areas may be required to obtain a MS4 General Permit if there exists or there is the potential for significant water quality impairment. The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting authority (EPA) could make this determination by itself or after receiving a petition from concerned citizens or groups.

Regulated Towns

Regulation Requirements

Links of Interest

EPA Guidance Links

The following EPA guidance provides further information on regulated small MS4 coverage:



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

Microsoft Excel symbol Microsoft Excel format. Download a free viewer from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire