skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Consumer Confidence Report

This guidance is for water system owners and operators with specific questions on Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) content requirements and report formatting. It does NOT list the many other requirements required by these rules. Please refer to the additional information links and contacts at the end of this fact sheet for further information.

  • What is a CCR?
    The CCR (or Consumer Confidence Report), is an annual water quality report that a community water system provides to its customers. The report is distributed to the consumer explaining the quality of their drinking water, if there are any contaminants in the water and how it may affect their health, what it takes to provide quality water and the importance of its protection for the future.
Back to Top
  • What are the CCR requirements and who do they apply to?
    Only community water systems that serve the same people year-round provide CCRs to their customers. The report must contain several components which are explained in the CCR guidelines found on our website (see the link at the bottom of this page).
Back to Top
  • Why do I have to submit a CCR every year?
    CCRs are required under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, and the applicable state and federal rules. The CCR must be submitted to consumers and NHDES by July 1st, of every year. The certification page must be submitted to NHDES by July 10th, of every year. Note that while the CCR details a lot of technical information, you are encouraged to use it as a communication tool to increase public awareness of the importance of protecting our water supplies and to provide a better understanding of the value of the water your system is providing.
Back to Top
  • How do I distribute the CCR to the consumers?
    Community water systems MUST DIRECTLY deliver a CCR to each consumer via mail, hand delivery, or electronically by July 1 of each year. Additionally, a good faith effort must be made to reach customers who do not receive water bills. You may place the CCR on your website, publish an article in a newspaper, and/or post it in a public area. Visit the NHDES CCR website for more detailed information on distributing your CCR.
Back to Top
  • What if I didn’t keep records needed to prepare my CCR?
    Since there are state and federal requirements for water system record retention, you should be sure to keep all records in a safe and easily retrievable location. Some of these requirements can be found on the NHDES Record Retention fact sheet WD-DWGB-7-1 Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

You can find your water quality monitoring results and a list of your violations on the One Stop Data website by entering your PWS ID. We also maintain records here at NHDES, you may to conduct a review of your files for this purpose.

Back to Top
  • Is there a specific format I should use for creating the CCR and where do I find it?
    You may use the templates available on our NHDES CCR website, but it is not required. You may create and design your own report as long as your CCR contains all the required information outlined in the rules (Env-Dw 811), [link to]. Guidance and helpful tips are available on the NHDES CCR website, to assist you.
Back to Top
  • How much information should I include when describing the source and location of the well for the water system?
    Each CCR must identify the source(s) of the water delivered by the water system including the type of water (groundwater, surface water or both) and its general location.

Example: The water provided to you by the ABC Water Company comes from one bedrock well and ABC lake. The well is located next to the tennis court and the lake is located beyond the field, west of the pump house.

Back to Top
  • Why do I need to include contact and public participation information in the CCR?
    Your customers have the right to know who to contact when they have a problem or a question and how to obtain information or participate in decision making for the water system. You are required to include the following:
    • The contact information of the owner AND primary operator of your water system (name and phone numbers).
    • The date, time, and location of any regularly scheduled board, commissioner, or business meeting that can be attended by those customers that are interested in decisions that affect the quality of the water.
Back to Top
Back to Top
Back to Top



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire