skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Reporting a Spill
The Spill Response and Complaint Investigation Section (SRCIS) responds to complaints related to illegal disposal of oil and hazardous materials, illegal dumping of solid waste and household refuse, automobile accidents, road side spills involving oil, chemicals and other waste, and spills onto surface waters of the state.

Types of Spill to Report

The following type of spills are managed by the SRCIS

  • Petroleum spills to the ground or surface water
  • Hazardous materials spill to the ground or surface water
  • Toxic air releases

How to Report a Spill

First: Contact your local 911 responder or fire department

Second: Call the NHDES Spill Response and Complaint Investigation Section.

Monday – Friday, 8am to 4pm
(603) 271-3899

Weekends and Evenings
(603) 223-4381, State Police

Required Information When Reporting a Spill

Spill Reporting FormMicrosoft Word Symbol

  • Your name and phone number
  • The name, address and phone number of the person or party you believe is responsible
  • Substance and amount spill (if known)
  • Date and time of spill (or observed)
  • Cause of the spill (if known)

For chemical or oil spills that impact surface water, contact the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802.



Microsoft Word SymbolMicrosoft Word format: free viewer instructions from Microsoft.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire