skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Management of Wastes from Dental Offices

Dental offices create hazardous, universal and solid waste in their day-to-day practices. Wastes include: mercury (amalgam, mercury-containing devices), silver (x-ray fixer), lead (shields, aprons, foils, batteries, computers), x-ray developer, medical waste (blood, sharps), disinfectant chemicals, as well as general office waste

Environmental Protection Agency Identification Number (EPA ID)

Generators of hazardous wastes are required to obtain an EPA ID. Dental offices usually generate silver, mercury, and lead, which are all classified as hazardous waste, but this does not necessarily mean that all dental offices need an EPA ID number; it depends on the management of these wastes.

Does your dental office:

  1. Recycle amalgam and fluorescent bulbs?
  2. Recycle lead foil, aprons, shields, batteries, and computers?
  3. Recover silver from spent fixer as a result of photo-processing (x-ray)? And is the silver collected in the canister is sent for recycle?
If your dental office can answer "YES" to all three questions, then the dental office does not need an EPA ID number.

If you answer "NO" to any of the questions, then your dental office will need an EPA ID number. To obtain an EPA ID number, the dental office should notify the Department of Environmental Services by contact the Reporting and Information Management Section at (603) 271-2921, complete the notification form, and pay an initial notification fee of $150.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire