Public Notice: NCES Application for Solid Waste Landfill Expansion
North Country Environmental Services, Inc. Landfill
Permit No. DES-SW-SP-03-002
581 Trudeau Road, Bethlehem, NH
Per order of the Hearing Officer, the public comment period for the application for expansion of the North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (NCES) landfill located in Bethlehem, NH is extended through Friday, September 18, 2020 at 4 pm.
Written comments on the application may be submitted in writing to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) through September 18, 2020 at 4:00 pm. To be officially included in the public record, written comments must be submitted using one of three methods: by post to NHDES, PO Box 95, Concord, NH 03302 0095; by email to email@example.com; or by hand-delivery during regular business hours to NHDES at 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH. Comments sent to other addresses, posted to social media, or postmarked or hand-delivered after close of the hearing record will not be included.
A public hearing to receive oral testimony on this permit application was held on Tuesday, August 25, 2020. A recording of that hearing is available through the NHDES YouTube channel.
North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (NCES), whose mailing address is PO Box 9, Bethlehem, NH 03574, submitted to NHDES a Type I-A Permit Modification Application, pursuant to RSA 149-M:9, to expand the NCES landfill located at 581 Trudeau Road in Bethlehem, NH by adding a new stage, referred to as Stage VI. Proposed Stage VI includes a 5.71 acre, 100 foot lateral expansion of the southern and eastern limits of the landfill, which would increase facility capacity by about 1.24 million cubic yards and extend the facility’s life expectancy by about 5.3 years through December 31, 2026. An increase in the maximum permitted landfill height is not proposed. The applicant has also submitted a request for waiver of certain design requirements in Env-Sw 805.07 regarding leak detection and location systems for the Stage VI footprint proposed to overlie existing Stage I.
The permit application is available for public review electronically through NHDES’ OneStop portal for the NCES landfill (Facility ID 2831), or by making a RSA 91-A Right-to-Know request. A paper copy of the application is also available for review during regular business hours at the Bethlehem Town Office, 2155 Main Street, Bethlehem, NH; and by appointment at NHDES’ office, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH.
Contact Jaime M. Colby, P.E., Supervisor, Permitting & Design Review Section, Solid Waste Management Bureau, at (603) 271-5185, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to the NHDES, Waste Management Division, Solid Waste Management Bureau, 29 Hazen Drive, PO Box 95, Concord, NH 03302-0095.
For your convenience, below are links to the Type I-A permit modification application for expansion (Stage VI) of the NCES landfill, which includes the associated application for waiver of certain design requirements in NH Solid Waste Rule Env-Sw 805.07. Note that electronic access to these documents is being provided through NHDES’ OneStop Data and Information Retrieval System.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (17 March 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification to a Solid Waste Management Facility Permit (Parts 1 and 2). Received March 24, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-01.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (3 April 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Replacement Page to Operating Plan and Stamped Cross-section Drawings (S-1 and S-2). Received April 3, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-02.
- CMA Engineers, Inc. (6 April 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Notification Letters (Ammonoosuc River LAC and NHDES Rivers Coordinator). Received April 6, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-03.
- CMA Engineers, Inc. (6 May 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Certified Mail Receipts. Received May 6, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-04.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (7 May 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Revised Tables for Public Benefit Demonstration (Tables 5 and 6, as well as associated text). Received May 8, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-05.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (26 May 2020). Application for Type I-A Modification – Certified Mail Receipts for Revised Public Benefit Section and Ammonoosuc River LAC. Received May 26, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-06.
The NH Solid Waste Rules, Env-Sw 100 et seq., can be found online on the NHDES Rules and Regulatory webpage; and the NH Solid Waste Management Act, RSA 149-M, can be found online on the New Hampshire Statutes website.
The comment period closes September 18, 2020 at 4 PM.