Public Notice: NCES Application for Solid Waste Landfill Expansion
North Country Environmental Services, Inc. Landfill
Permit No. DES-SW-SP-03-002
581 TRUDEAU ROAD, BETHLEHEM, NH
The NHDES Waste Management Division is seeking public comments on an application for expansion of the North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (NCES) landfill located in Bethlehem, NH. The public comment period is now open until 4 PM on September 8, 2020 for receipt of written comments and a public hearing is scheduled for 6 PM on Tuesday, August 25, 2020 for receipt of oral testimony. See details below.
Written Comments: Written comments on the application may be submitted in writing to NHDES any time between the date of this notice and the close of the hearing record, currently scheduled for September 8, 2020 at 4 PM. To be officially included in the public record, written comments must be submitted using one of three methods: by post to NHDES, PO Box 95, Concord, NH 03302-0095; by email to email@example.com; or by hand-delivery during regular business hours to NHDES at 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH. Comments sent to other addresses, posted to social media, or postmarked or hand-delivered after close of the
hearing record will not be included in the public record.
Public Hearing: Pursuant to RSA 149-M:9, RSA 149-M:11, IV(a), and Solid Waste Administrative Rule Env-Sw 304.08, a public hearing to receive testimony on this permit application will be held on Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 6:00 PM. To ensure all persons have an opportunity to provide comments and to protect public health, NHDES will conduct the public hearing via remote access, as further described below. Persons unable to participate via remote access will be able to participate in-person on the same date and time at the Elks Lodge, 42 Main Street, Bethlehem, NH, where NHDES will provide accommodations for participating in the remote access hearing, including receipt of oral and written testimony.
To safeguard public health, all persons are encouraged to participate in the hearing remotely. People needing to participate in-person at the Elks Lodge hearing location, will be requested to observe public health protocols in effect at the time of the hearing, anticipated to include wearing a mask, except when delivering oral testimony in a controlled setting, and remaining at least 6 feet apart.
You can register for remote access to the public hearing. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on how to join the webinar including options to join through the internet or via telephone. Advance registration is not required.
Any individuals who want to participate in the public hearing and need assistance or auxiliary communication equipment due to sensory impairment or other disability should contact Nelson Ordway, NHDES, Waste Management Division, 29 Hazen Drive, PO Box 95, Concord, NH 03302-0095; TDD Access: relay NH1-800-735-2964; or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification for assistance must be made no later than 4:00 PM, August 11, 2020.
Application Summary: North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (NCES), whose mailing address is PO Box 9, Bethlehem, NH 03574, submitted to NHDES a Type I-A Permit Modification Application, pursuant to RSA 149-M:9, to expand the NCES landfill located at 581 Trudeau Road in Bethlehem, NH by adding a new stage, referred to as Stage VI. Proposed Stage VI includes a 5.71 acre, 100 foot lateral expansion of the southern and eastern limits of the landfill, which would increase facility capacity by about 1.24 million cubic yards and extend the facility’s life expectancy by about 5.3 years through December 31, 2026. An increase in the maximum permitted landfill height is not proposed. The applicant has also submitted a request for waiver of certain design requirements in Env-Sw 805.07 regarding leak detection and location systems for the Stage VI footprint proposed to overlie existing Stage I.
The permit application is available for public review electronically through the NHDES OneStop portal for the NCES landfill (Facility ID 2831). A paper copy of the application is also available for review during regular business hours at the Bethlehem Town Office, 2155 Main Street, Bethlehem, NH; and by appointment at NHDES’ office, 29 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH.
Additional Information: Contact Jaime M. Colby, P.E., Supervisor, Permitting & Design Review Section, Solid Waste Management Bureau, at (603) 271-5185, email email@example.com, or mail to NHDES, Waste Management Division, Solid Waste Management Bureau, 29 Hazen Drive, PO Box 95, Concord, NH 03302-0095.
Application: For your convenience, below are links to the Type I-A permit modification application for expansion (Stage VI) of the NCES landfill, which includes the associated application for waiver of certain design requirements in NH Solid Waste Rule Env-Sw 805.07. Note that electronic access to these documents is being provided through NHDES’ OneStop Data and Information Retrieval System.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (17 March 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification to a Solid Waste Management Facility Permit (Parts 1 and 2). Received March 24, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-01. Part 1 | Part 2
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (3 April 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Replacement Page to Operating Plan and Stamped Cross-section Drawings (S-1 and S-2). Received April 3, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-02.
- CMA Engineers, Inc. (6 April 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Notification Letters (Ammonoosuc River LAC and NHDES Rivers Coordinator). Received April 6, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-03.
- CMA Engineers, Inc. (6 May 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Certified Mail Receipts. Received May 6, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-04.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (7 May 2020). Application for a Type I-A Modification – Revised Tables for Public Benefit Demonstration (Tables 5 and 6, as well as associated text). Received May 8, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-05.
- North Country Environmental Services, Inc. (26 May 2020). Application for Type I-A Modification – Certified Mail Receipts for Revised Public Benefit Section and Ammonoosuc River LAC. Received May 26, 2020. Assigned WMD Log No. 2020-47865-06.
New Hampshire Solid Waste Rules: Env-Sw 100 et seq.
New Hampshire Solid Waste Management Act: RSA 149-M.
The comment period closes September 8, 2020 at 4 PM.