skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Media Center

DATE: June 25, 2018
CONTACT: Melanie Cofrin, (603) 271-8803

Coastal Mobile Pumpout Boat Service Suspended Temporarily in All Areas Except Hampton Harbor

Concord, NH – The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) owns a mobile pumpout boat (the Royal Flush) which provides pumpout services free of charge in the coastal zone of northern NH. At this time the Royal Flush's service has been suspended temporarily and it is not known when the service will resume.

As an alternative to mobile pumpout boat services, stationary pumpout facilities should be used. NHDES maintains a list and an interactive map of stationary facilities; both can be found here: NHDES suggests to always call ahead to verify the facility is currently operational and there are no barriers to receiving a pumpout (such as size restrictions).

The NHDES Clean Vessel Act (CVA) program reminds the boating community that all waters in New Hampshire are federally designated as a No Discharge Areas. This means all boat sewage (even if it is treated) must be directed to a holding tank to be pumped out at a stationary or mobile facility. All coastal waters are designated as No Discharge Areas including bays, tidal rivers, estuaries, three miles seaward from the shoreline, and three miles surrounding the Isles of Shoals. Inland waters are also protected under No Discharge laws.

This No Discharge designation protects all of New Hampshire's waters from being degraded. Wastewater discharges are highly concentrated so even small amounts can have a large effect. This is especially true in slower moving waters such as harbors and mooring fields. Wastewater from holding tanks often contain disease-causing microorganisms, nutrients (which can cause algal blooms), and various chemicals. All of these can be harmful to fish and other sea creatures, additionally they can negatively affect the safety and aesthetics of our waters for recreational activities.

There is also a free mobile pumpout boat service in Hampton Harbor, which is available to boats in Hampton Harbor by appointment. To request a mobile pumpout in Hampton Harbor please call 603-PUMPOUT (603-786-7688). The boat owner or their appointee must sign a pumpout request form which is available here: This form is valid for one year and only needs to be signed for the first request of the season.

CVA funds are administered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service to states for the implementation of resources for boat sewage removal. For more information about the Clean Vessel Act program please visit:

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire