skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Media Center

DATE: May 10, 2017
CONTACT: Melanie Cofrin (603) 271-8803

Mobile Pumpout Boat Service – Coastal Availability for 2017 Boating Season

Concord, NH – The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES) Clean Vessel Act (CVA) program reminds the boating community that all waters in New Hampshire are federally designated as No Discharge Areas. This means all boat sewage (even if it is treated) must be directed to a holding tank to be pumped out at a stationary or mobile facility. All coastal waters including bays, tidal rivers, estuaries, three miles seaward from the shoreline, and three miles surrounding the Isles of Shoals and Inland waters are protected under the No Discharge laws.

This No Discharge designation protects all of New Hampshire’s waters from being degraded. Wastewater discharges are highly concentrated so even small amounts can have a large effect. This is especially true in slower moving waters such as harbors and mooring fields. Wastewater from holding tanks often contain disease-causing microorganisms, nutrients (which can cause algal blooms), and various chemicals. All of these can be harmful to fish and other sea creatures, additionally they can negatively affect the safety and aesthetics of our waters for recreational activities.

NHDES owns a mobile pumpout boat (the Royal Flush) which provides pumpout services free of charge in the coastal zone of northern NH. The Royal Flush is expected to be launched with new engines in June.  There is also a free mobile pumpout boat service in Hampton Harbor, which is expected to be available in early May pending pre-season repair work. 

To request a pumpout please call and make an appointment. For the Royal Flush call (603) 670-5130 or use VHF 9. For the Hampton Harbor pumpout boat call 603-PUMPOUT (603) 786-7688. For either service, the boat owner or their appointee must sign a pumpout request form, which is available here: This form is valid for one year and only needs to be signed for the first request of the season.

As an alternative to mobile pumpout boat services, there are stationary pumpout facilities available. NHDES maintains a list and an interactive map of stationary facilities; both can be found here: NHDES suggests to always call ahead to verify the facility is currently operational and there are no barriers to receiving a pumpout (such as size restrictions).

CVA funds are administered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service to states for the implementation of resources for boat sewage removal. For more information about the Clean Vessel Act program please visit:

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire