The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) initiated a significant, multi-year effort to improve the technical standards as well as the operation and decision-making processes used by the Wetlands Bureau. One outcome of the "Wetlands Program Rule making and Process Improvement Effort" was to implement a requirement for a pre-application meeting to be held prior to submitting project proposals that require compensatory mitigation. NHDES Rule Env-Wt 501.01(a) states: Prior to filing an application for a project for which compensatory mitigation will be required, the applicant shall meet with the department to coordinate the review of the compensatory mitigation proposal.
The pre-application review will accomplish the following:
- Provide clear and consistent direction to applicants.
- Improve communications between state/federal agencies and local entities.
- Ensure openness of the process.
- Reduce rework by all parties – saving time and money.
- Promote environmentally-sensitive land use planning.
- Provide an efficient process that serves as an incentive for applicants to pursue “environmentally-superior” designs.
Rules and Regulations
Resources and Links
- Pre-Application Meeting Agenda
- Pre-Application Meeting Materials List
- Scheduling a Pre-Application Meeting
- Wetlands Program
NHDES Wetlands Bureau
29 Hazen Drive; PO Box 95
Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-6588 (fax)
- Portsmouth Office
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.