skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Construction Activities
Questions/Answers and Important Notices

Question/Answers | Important Notices

What do I do to obtain and comply with the Construction General Permit (CGP)?

Small construction sites will be expected to provide pollution prevention plans and appropriate construction site runoff controls to meet the goal of reduced pollutant discharge to receiving waters.

The permit will require both the contractor (with day-to-day control of the site) and the owner or developer (with control over the plans and specs) to:

How does New Hampshire's Alteration of Terrain (Site Specific) permit differ from that of the Phase II Storm Water General Permit for Small Construction Activity?

New Hampshire's Alteration of Terrain permit and EPA's permits differ in coverage based on the size and location of the project. A Alteration of Terrain permit from NHDES is required for any contiguous area of disturbance exceeding 100,000 square feet (approximately 2.3 acres), or 50,000 square feet if the disturbance is partially or wholly located within the protected shoreland. The plans and documents developed for a Alteration of Terrain permit will satisfy many, but not all, of the required components of a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for the CGP. If you prepare a plan that adheres to all the components of NHDES's "Guidelines for the Preparation of Site Specific Applications" (1996), here is a concise list of the additional information you must provide to satisfy the terms of EPA's SWPPP; (you will still need to read and understand both permits)

  • A site map showing areas of soil disturbance, areas where soil will not be disturbed, locations of all major storm water controls, and locations of off-site material, waste, borrow and equipment storage areas.
  • Location and description of any non-construction sources of pollutants on the site, such as a storm water discharge from concrete or asphalt plants dedicated to the project, and how that pollution will be minimized.
  • Name of receiving waters and a real extent of wetlands at the site.
  • Construction activity records showing:
    • Dates when major grading activities occur.
    • Dates when construction activities temporarily or permanently cease on part of the site.
    • Dates when stabilization begins (no later than 14 days after construction activity ceases, if earth disturbing activities won't resume within 21 days).
  • Inspection records showing:
    • That inspections have been conducted at least once every 14 days AND within 24 hours of a 0.5 inch storm.
    • That all disturbed areas, (exposed) material storage areas, structural controls, vehicle entry /exit locations, and storm water discharge locations OR downstream locations have been inspected.
    • The names and qualifications of personnel conducting the inspections, and the dates, scope, and finding of the inspections.
    • That the SWPPP has been modified within 7 days of any inspection that shows a need to institute or change any storm water controls.
  • Plans for use of sediment traps and ponds must provide for sediment removal when design capacity has been reduced by 50%.
  • How off-site tracking of sediments and dust by vehicles will be minimized.
  • Describe construction and waste materials generated on-site, how their exposure to storm water will be minimized, and how spills will be handled and how they will be disposed of.
  • Describe how storm water pollution from off-site material storage areas used for the project such as soil stockpiles and borrow areas, will be minimized.
  • Provide information on any endangered or threatened species on or near the site, and how they will be protected.
  • For sites over 10 acres, a sediment basin designed to handle a 2-year, 24-hour storm must be provided at least until the site has been permanently stabilized.
  • For sites under 10 acres, either the above sediment basin OR sediment controls (silt fence, buffer, etc.) for all down slope boundaries and any appropriate mid/side slope boundaries must be provided.

Important Notices

  • Both the contractor (with day-to-day control of the site) and the owner or developer (with control over the plans and specifications) need to submit a separate NOI form and together develop one shared SWPPP.
  • No exposure is not available for construction activities needing a CGP.

    You are automatically covered by the permit 7 days after filing an electronic NOI and when your project is listed as active in EPA's NOI Search Page. If you do not file an electronic NOI over the internet you must wait until you receive a written acknowledgement of coverage from EPA before beginning construction. You must also be prepared to show your SWPPP to inspectors who visit your site. You must also be ready to show that you are implementing your plan, and have inspected your site regularly.



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire