skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Construction Activities

photo As of March 10, 2003, construction activity that disturbs one or more acre of land, including that conducted by a municipality, needs the Construction General Permit (CGP).

What EPA considers "construction activity": clearing, grading, excavation and other land disturbance activities related to projects such as landscaping, demolition, and building homes, office buildings, factories, roads, etc.

If your own work site creates less than one acre of disturbance, but is part of a larger "common plan of development or sale" totaling that many acres of disturbance, you need a permit. It is important to note that the threshold is for total disturbance. The areas of disturbance do not need to be contiguous to be included in the calculation of total disturbance.

This permit is different from

NHDES Contact

Ridgely Mauck
Alteration of Terrain Bureau
(603) 271-2303



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire