skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Typical Restrictions on Lands Acquired with Land Grant Funds

Permitted Uses and Activities

  • Groundwater/surface water may be withdrawn on a sustainable yield basis and exported from the property if used for a community drinking water supply. Permitted activities in conjunction with the provision of a community drinking water supply shall be defined as the installation, maintenance, monitoring and replacement of water supply wells, monitoring wells, minimal drinking water treatment facilities, a water distribution system, pump stations, and ancillary improvements such as roads, signs, utilities, security facilities; and the extraction and exportation of groundwater from the Property, all for the purpose of serving public drinking water supply needs.
  • Agriculture and Forestry. Agricultural and forest management activities are allowed. Necessary ancillary improvements which serve on-site forest and agricultural management activities, such as forest and farm roads, utilities, wells, irrigation pumps, ponds, equipment sheds, barns, fences, culverts and bridges, may be constructed on the Property. Any agricultural or forestry activities must be in accordance with the following:
    • Within the Sanitary Zone of a well (200'-400') or the Primary Watershed Zone of a surface water source (within 400' of the mean high water mark of the reservoir; or within 250' of the mean high water mark of a tributary which feeds directly into the reservoir; or within 100' of the mean high water mark of other surface waters which are indirect tributaries to the reservoir), no pesticides, biosolids, septage, manure, or similar soil amendments shall be used, stored or disposed of; no livestock or other domestic animals shall be kept or grazed; no new ponds or forestry or farm roads will be created; and no buildings shall be erected; and
    • Forest and agricultural management activities shall promote the overall conservation of viable populations of native plant and animal species; and
    • Any forest management activities in which more than the equivalent of 15 cords of wood are cut in any calendar year shall be conducted in accordance with a written "Forest Management Plan" prepared by a professional forester. Any agricultural management activities shall be conducted in accordance with a written "Farm Management Plan." The plans shall be submitted to and ruled upon by DES in advance of implementation and updated at least every ten years or on such timetables that are mutually agreed upon. Information to be included in a plan is available from DES.
  • Passive Recreation. Passive recreation is allowed. This includes hiking, cross country skiing, bicycling, non-motorized recreation, hunting, and fishing.

Prohibited Uses and Activities

  • Industrial and Commercial Activities
  • Subdivision
  • Improvements. No dwellings, residential septic systems, billboards, tennis courts, swimming pools, docks, aircraft landing strips, or mobile homes. No roads, storage tanks, dams, or towers.
  • Land Surface Alterations. No removal, filling, or other disturbances or erosion of the soil surface, above or below the water table, or any changes in topography, surface or subsurface water systems, wetlands or wetland habitat are allowed.
  • Resource Extraction. No mining, quarrying, excavation or extraction of minerals such as rocks, gravel, sand, topsoil or other similar materials.
  • Waste Disposal. There shall be no dumping, discharge, injection, burning, storage, or burial of waste, including snow; nor of synthetic or manufactured materials or materials then known to be environmentally hazardous, including but not limited to refuse, vehicle parts or bodies, or other hazardous materials.
  • Storage Tanks. No underground or above ground tanks for the storage of gaseous or liquid petroleum products shall be installed, placed or allowed, except for above ground fuel tanks with adequate spill containment that are in active use in conjunction with on-site water supply activities.
  • Hazardous Substances. No substances, which constitute a hazard to public health or the environment, shall be transported, used, stored, applied or disposed of in any manner or to any extent.
  • Impervious Surfaces/Paving. No more than 3% of the Property shall be covered by buildings or other impervious materials. Any paving must be in conjunction with a permitted use.
  • Water Quality Degradation. Surface water and groundwater quality shall be preserved and in no event shall be polluted or degraded.
  • Unsustainable Water Withdrawal. The sustainable yield of groundwater (or surface water), as recharged from surface water and infiltration of precipitation shall not be exceeded by on-site water withdrawal.
  • Rare Species Harm. Activities shall not harm state or federally recognized rare, threatened or endangered species.
  • Recreational Uses. No docks, camping, fires, all-terrain vehicles, motorized watercraft or other motorized recreational vehicles shall be allowed.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire