skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Frequently Asked Questions
Chlorofluorcarbons (CFCs)
  • I understand that Freon has been phased out of production. Does this mean that I have to get rid of my refrigerator, air conditioner or automobile air conditioner?
    No. Though Freon is no longer in production, it can still be used in products until the supply is exhausted. It is illegal to vent it into the atmosphere, but it can be recycled for reuse.
Back to Top
  • Why does it cost so much to have my automobile air conditioner recharged?
    The cost of refrigerant used in automobile air conditioners is based on supply and demand. Since it is a refrigerant that EPA has banned for production, there is a limited supply available for use, therefore it has become scarce and thus expensive.

    Read Stratospheric Ozone Protection - The CFC Issue Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol(Fact Sheet ARD-12) to learn how CFCs affect stratospheric ozone.

Back to Top



Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Download a free reader from Adobe.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire