skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Frequently Asked Questions
  • What are typical hazardous wastes at municipal garages?
    Used oil and used antifreeze are among the most common wastes at public works garages. In New Hampshire, these wastes may be managed as Universal Wastes and if the wastes are recycled, will not count toward generator status.

    Gasoline is hazardous, but if properly stored and labeled, can be recycled or reused. As a waste product, it must be handled as a hazardous waste.

Back to Top
  • Is our facility a small or full quantity generator?
    If your facility generates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month, you are considered a "small quantity generator" according to New Hampshire Hazardous Waste Rules. If your facility generates more than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month, you are a "full quantity generator." Visit One Stop to determine your current generator status.
Back to Top
  • How can we reduce the amount of waste generated at our facility?
    • Separate hazardous and solid wastes. This will eliminate excess amounts of hazardous material generated, by distinguishing those that can be discarded as solid waste.
    • Do not mix gasoline and oil wastes.
    • Keep used Speedi-Dry in a container separate from hazardous wastes.
    • Train your employees on the proper process techniques to reduce needless spills.
    • Purchase only the amount of oil, solvent, etc., needed.
    • Change oil as needed rather than on schedule.
    • Use cloth wipes that can be laundered off-site.
Back to Top
  • What are the differences between Universal and Hazardous Wastes?
    Universal wastes are wastes that meet the definition of hazardous waste in the NH Hazardous Waste Rules. They are generated by all segments of the population and, unfortunately, often improperly disposed of by the people who generate them. In an effort to make it easier and more cost effective to properly manage these wastes, the Universal Waste Rules exempts the wastes from the more burdensome Hazardous Waste Rules requirements, as long as they are managed to prevent release to the environment and properly recycled or disposed of.

    Links to information on specific New Hampshire universal wastes:

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire