skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Frequently Asked Questions
  • What are typical hazardous wastes at automotive repair facilities?
    Used oil, gasoline and antifreeze are the most common hazardous wastes generated by automotive facilities. All three wastes can be either directly reused as a still valuable "product" or recycled on site. Other automotive wastes, such as antifreeze, batteries and mercury switches may be managed as a universal waste. If directly reused, recycled or managed as a universal waste, these wastes do not count toward your hazardous waste generator status.
Back to Top
  • Is our facility a small or full quantity generator?
    If your facility generates less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month, you are considered a "small quantity generator" according to the New Hampshire Hazardous Waste Rules. If your facility generates greater than 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month, you are a "full quantity generator." Visit One Stop to determine your current generator status. For more information, refer to the New Hampshire Hazardous Waste Rules.
Back to Top
  • How can we reduce the amount of hazardous waste generated at our facility?
    • Separate your hazardous and solid wastes. This will eliminate excess amounts of hazardous material generated, by distinguishing those that can be discarded as solid waste.
    • Do not mix oil and gasoline. Oil can be recycled, and some gasoline can be reused, but not if they are mixed together. Brake, transmission and power steering fluid can be mixed with other used oil and recycled.
    • Unused antifreeze can be recycled, reused or resold as product if in good condition.
    • Parts that are for re-sale do not need to be solvent-cleaned.
    • Train your employees on the proper process techniques to reduce needless spills.
    • Generation of hazardous waste can be greatly reduced by purchasing only the amount of solvents, degreasers, paints, etc., needed.
    For a listing of best management practices, visit New Hampshire Green Yards – Best Management Practices for NH Motor Vehicle Recycling Facilities.
Back to Top
  • What are the differences between Universal and Hazardous Wastes?
    Universal wastes are wastes that meet the definition of hazardous waste in the NH Hazardous Waste Rules. They are generated by all segments of the population and, unfortunately, often improperly disposed of by the people who generate them. In an effort to make it easier and more cost effective to properly manage these wastes, the Universal Waste Rules exempts the wastes from the more burdensome Hazardous Waste Rules requirements, as long as they are managed to prevent release to the environment and properly recycled or disposed of. Links to information on specific New Hampshire universal wastes:
  • How do I dispose of waste aerosol cans?
    Aerosol containers are considered to be "empty", and thus exempt from the N.H. Hazardous Waste Rules (Env-Hw 100-1100), under the following conditions:
    • When the pressure inside the aerosol container approaches atmospheric pressure (i.e., when the propellant gas is unable to spray any more material from the aerosol can); and
    • When all waste (i.e., paint) has been removed by using the product for its intended use.

    Often waste generators must dispose of aerosol containers that do not satisfy the "empty" container requirements of the N.H. Hazardous Waste Rules. Such containers may contain residual propellants that render the containers "reactive" hazardous wastes (Env-Hw 403.05).

    The cans may also contain residual waste contents which may be a "characteristic" hazardous waste (Env-Hw 403), and/or a "listed" hazardous waste (Env-Hw 402). Once generated, waste aerosol containers that contain hazardous waste and/or residual propellants, should be disposed of in accordance with the N.H. Hazardous Waste Rules. For a link to this section of the rules go to: Env-Hw 400 Identification & Listing of Hazardous Wastes.

Back to Top

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire