skip navigation
New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services

Homeowner Disposal Options For Mercury-Containing Products

Where to Bring Mercury-Containing Items
Contact your town recycling coordinator or town hall to find out where and when the next Household Hazardous Waste Collection event will take place. Some HHW events will accept "out of town" wastes for a fee. Contact them directly for hours, locations, and costs.

Some towns accept fluorescent lamps and mercury-containing products on a year-round basis. Call your recycling coordinator or town hall to see if this option is available.

You can take the items directly to a mercury recycler. There is one mercury recycler in Portsmouth, NH: UniWaste Services. They charge about $3.75 per pound to accept mercury devices (2006 rate).

The two Wheelabrator trash-to-energy plants in New Hampshire will accept mercury and mercury-containing devices, free of charge. The facilities are located at 11 Whitney Road, Penacook, and145 Grissom Lane, Claremont.

Storage of Mercury-Containing Items
Store the items in sturdy, air-tight containers to prevent leaks and spills.

Household Hazardous Waste event information may be obtained from the HHW Coordinator at (603) 271-2047 or at the HHW program page.

For information on Wheelabrator, call (603) 753-8411.

For information on UniWaste Services, call (603) 422-7711.

NH Department of Environmental Services | 29 Hazen Drive | PO Box 95 | Concord, NH 03302-0095
(603) 271-3503 | TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964 | Hours: M-F, 8am-4pm

copyright 2017. State of New Hampshire